Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Finally Back into the Groove!

I finally have found the time to get some sewing done! After moving to Oregon than back across the US to Virginia, I am finally set up in the basement and sewing!

The first item I made is a shirt for myself. It is a commercial pattern, Butterick B5046. This is the first commercial pattern I have used in a while. I like the ones from youcanmakethis.com and I like the Studio Tantrum patterns. I remembered why I don't like Butterick! It had many directions that were incorrect or confusing. I became friends with my seem ripper again! But, once I read and reread and watched a great video on slip stitching I got it done. I really like it and now that I worked out all the kinks, I may make a dress version!
The next think I whipped up was a pair of shorts. I did use the same butterick pattern only because I looked through it and saw it was your basic pant pattern. 4 pieces sewn together! I have been hoarding this pretty material from Hobby Lobby and finally used most of it up. The shorts are comfy.

Sara Beth was next. I moved back to my favorite patterns! This is the Precious Dress by CarlaC that can be found on youcanmakethis.com. I used a really cute eyelet material that came from Hobby Lobby. Sara Beth has had 2 other items made from this material. Mom bought the bolt and she gave it to me! I love mom! And I love this material. Sara Beth likes puffy sleeves, so we did puffy sleeves, collar and ties. This will probably be the last time I can use this size. One great think about CarlaC's patterns is that they come in many sizes and you print off the size you need when you need it!
Now, Sara Beth can't have a pretty dress without Kirsten having a matching one! Since we were leaving to North Carolina to visit family and friends that afternoon I had to whip up Kirsten's dress quickly. I fore go the sleeves, collar and ties so I could make it quickly. It only took about an hour from cut to finish. That is including time I tore apart my sewing area to find hook and loop tape! But, voila! Sara Beth and Kirsten have matching dresses. Sara Beth has commissioned me to make another doll dress for her itty bitty twin!







1 comment:

  1. My girls want me to make them dresses and matching dresses for their little dolls too! Problem is - I rarely...ok = never, do apparel! But everyday we can learn something new! I love this matching outfit!

    ReplyDelete